Friday, July 2, 2010

River bends




















Nancy + Mimi / OBannon State Park, Indiana

Nancy meets Mimi and I at 8am at the Marathon, no longer Texaco gas station (as it had been on Sunday prior our day off) of of junction 1683 in Brandenburg, Ky. She had read about Mimi and decided that the day after she ended her 30+ year career as a teacher that she would guide Mimi along one of her favorite stretches of the Ohio. Much as I loved to kayak, my jammed finger and what would be an hour + logistical nightmare made me delight on her last minute addition!

On this loop of greenery, I encountered open farmland, endless forest--a rural adventure! The possible take out for the day was a line on Jerry Hay's map at the bottom of Obannon State park in Indiana. According to Ranger Bob, there might be some 'deer trails' leading down to the river. I was confident (having actually SEEN a current! upon their departure) that they would want to go to a boat dock further, but having experienced the problems that rural communication can bring, I thought it best to explore the state park and find a trail to the shore and wait until I saw them come by. My method would be the old-fashioned wave and yell.

Shore of OBannon State Park
(mile 661.5)

I spent an hour down at the bottom of the park along the bank with nature. It was a beautiful day and unlike past experiences on remote shores, I felt relaxed--zoning out on the amazing formations that had been piled up by the water over the months, years.




In Leavenworth, IN we were joined by Mimi's daughter, Tess and officer Fountain who took vacation leave from the Huntsville Police department to spend three days kayaking/supporting the swim. It's been great having them here--I definitely have enjoyed the fact that Fountain has been driving/hauling the kayak as well as the opportunity to get to know Tess. They have had fairly long days, but they couldn't have come at a better time as I feel this has been some of the most beautiful stretches of the river and some of the most unique lodging we've had since the swim began.




















.

I lost Mimi's phone for a good 2 hours. I gradually accumulated a 6 person search party as diverse as one can imagine. Although I was determined that I would not leave Leavenworth until I found it, internally, I had just about given up when I heard a beep on the lawn of a restaurant Fountain and I had waited at to watch Mimi and Tess go by at. Re-energized I proudly announced my discovery to the lovely folks at the Leavenworth Inn, the lovely place we had stayed at. They gave me twine and I braided a tail on the cell phone determined not to lose it again!

We didn't have lodging for the night and that had been on the agenda. Got on the phone-- found and called a place called Colucci's Cabins in the remote town of Magnet where they would be getting out at. In an instant, Bud, the artist/owner of the cabin community said, "yes" and hours later we were in the most amazing, modern yet natural dwellings you could imagine on a stretch of the river that was majestic. We experienced a time warp. The cabins were all designed by Bud, and with a background as a sculptor, they were livable bodies of art. As we sat at our Ying Yang cabin and looked out onto the river you could hear a chorus of wind chimes that lulled you into a sense of calm.

Magnet, IN (mile 703)




















Bud Colucci in his office of 'artifacts'
He truly practices his belief in supporting community


Blue Heron's Nest (and my dream home!!)
Inside the Ying Yang Cabin



















.

At the Magnet boat dock, all of the town came to greet Mimi and Tess--including honest Abe. Abe had popped up on a pontoon boat at several locations throughout the day--less in an attempt to trip out Tess (which he might have a little bit) than to indulge his sense of curiosity.























Rome, IN (mile 701) The courthouse with a door to nowhere

Rome, IN take two--We came back to try and catch Mimi and Tess (as this was a possible end point prior to being ahead of schedule). We weren't seen by them as we yelled and waved, but we were able to meet a nice lady and her little dog gang.

Miss Mon (admittedly, her favorite)
Stevie (with his awesome fu manchu)
Mimi between Nancy and her oldest granddaughter

We ended up finding a take out on a private farm 2 miles past Rome. The matriarch, Nancy, had been born in the same house she lived and raised 5 sons. So much tragedy and love in her life--speaking about the loss of her husband she welled with tears. I asked if I could hug her. I needed a hug too, my uncle had just passed and I was thinking of my brother. I was so happy to meet her and later introduce her to Mimi as we moved from trespassers to neighbors.

Back into the state of packing, swimming, driving, filming.
Current location: Tell City, IN
Time: 3:16pm (we are back in central time!)
Approx. Take out: Cannelton, IN (mile 724)
We'll see what happens...
Mimi got tired of not being able to fit her toes in her shoes

This morning looked like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment