Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nature and Nurturers

After an interesting week full of unpredictable weather, passed out bodies and mosquito bitten ankles, it was so refreshing to come to the town of Maysville, Ky and meet the kind ladies who operate the French Quarter Inn in the historic downtown area. Met a gallery owner who made the most amazing jewelry based off of barn quilts, something I've never encountered. It was fascinating-- taking a historical and folk art such as quilting and painting a almost coat of arms-like quilt pattern on a barn. These quilt barn trails I guess are something that are popping up around the nation.

While deciding what to do Monday, after helping Mimi and kayaker Jim launch at the Moyer's winery I got my internet fix at McDonalds, observing one of my new favorite pastimes--the retired men's morning coffee club. I couldn't help but overhear them talk about the swim, but not wanting to let on I was a snoop I didn't say anything. After getting lost in google for a while, I realized there were only two men left. I braved up and talked to them. I told them that my tracker was on that day and if we left soon, we could catch Mimi swim by Maysville. Not 10 minutes under the bridge, and Mimi and kayaker Jim were in sight. One man kept saying how he wished he had his camera (he had called his wife, but knew she would miss her because she had to put her lipstick on!)...pretty hilarious. They told me, go to Augusta, and so I went!

Maysville, KY (408.5 mile)

Mimi had the most amazing swim with her support for the day, Jim of the Cincy paddlers who have been supporting us this week as we edge toward Cincinnati, OH. Jim, Mimi said was so caring, relaxed and even had brain teasers ready for her at the breaks. With super kayaker Jim, a 3 mile/hr current, my tracking brain suggested that she'd go past Dover (mile 419.5) and onto Augusta, Ky (mile 246-7). Within a half hour of prediction, Mimi and Jim arrived at the Augusta boat ramp at 4:30pm after going 26 miles! Amazing!

We were so excited to meet the funny bunch, Danny and John, pals and paddlers from the Cincy paddlers. As promised, in their precise, but comical email, was veggie pizza, crisp cold beer and 2 friends prepared for the day ahead. Danny had called the upcoming townships and arranged for us to stay with the Mayor of Dover, KY, Eddie and then the following day, the Mayor of Moscow, Oh, Tim.

Mayor Eddie, Mimi, Danny + John
Dover, Ky (mile 419.5)

On beautiful days, without fear of abduction, I wander into some of the beautiful parks and nature reserves along the Ohio River. Many of the old locks and dams have been converted into city/state maintained properties and parks. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to stop at the old lock house in Chilo, Oh where after a thorough vetting process of the 2 forest workers and a local retired man (dog in tow), I deemed the area fit for stopping. The men there proved more than helpful, unlocking the River museum for me to peruse, directing me to their trails and even delivering my sandals to the Meldahl lock and dam a few miles away (as I carelessly left them in the parking lot).

Danny locks through
Meldahl Dam, OH (mile 436)


After days of off and on rains, Mimi swims in the most drift yet. Getting back into the drift sludge that's accumulated near the damn.
I was an early guest in the home of Mayor Tim and Tracey Suter. I had met Tim briefly at Meldahl Dam, but he was surprised to catch me so soon at Moscow, his hometown. I had already circled the town twice, when he wrangled me in and led me to the home that he and his wife share. No too long after, Mimi and the funny bunch arrived at the town's boat dock and were surrounded by the kind people of the town, eating all of the delicious food Tracey and her friends had prepared. I got to hear about the town's history and many personal stories of tragedy and triumph. After a flood in the late 1990's had devastated the local area, some of the women we met founded the Neville River belles, a group created to raise money to help those impacted--they've since continued raising funds by cook books and other means for other causes.

In the last few days, I've really felt nurtured by all of these people. It was funny, standing in the middle of the mayor's house surrounded by women I'd only met that day and being measured for my wedding dress. I felt like they were all my aunts.

Moscow, Oh (mile 443)

Mayor Tim with friend Steve
Steve's front yard, (mile 446)

On a random note, I've not been completely alone--even on remote banks. I learned early on by the folks maintaining East Liverpool's dock just how 'cute' locals find Canadian geese that never want to leave America. I can spot the geese trails, but it's the bugs that have been difficult to get used to. For the last few weeks the Mayflies have taken over the river. People have said that they really only live 24 hours, mate, and then die. I know I should feel compelled to allow their short existence to be swat free, but the swarms (especially around Meldahl Dam) of mayflies are next level.
chain of mayflies and kayaker john

I swear the ducks in New Richmond, Oh are on steroids. I misidentified one with a red growth on it's head as a turkey.
New Richmond, Oh (mile 449)

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoyed our company as much as we enjoyed having you stop in for a few hours. If you need us you have the numbers.
    The Mayor and F.L.

    ReplyDelete